Below are my notes, upgrades, info on the Kingroon KP3S 3D Printer Amazon | AliExpress If you need to be convinced that this is the printer for you, please see the following review. I was in need of a smaller printer that I could fit on a shelf, and this fit the bill. It’s very similar in build size and quality to the Prusa Mini, but you can get this in 2 days vs. 2 months and save $200.
For Kingroon-provided firmware, installation is as follows:
- Format a MicroSD card as FAT32-formatted, MBR boot record.
- Copy files to the root of the SD card: Robin_nano.bin, robin_nano_cfg.txt, mks_pic (directory & its contents) and mks_font (directory & its contents)
- Insert into printer & reboot. This will only work once; after upgrade, the folders/files will be renamed.
- KP3S Manual - Local Archive - 12/28/2020
- Latest Official Firmware (w/ old extruder) - Local Archive - 12/12/2020
- Latest Official Firmware (w/ old extruder and 3D Touch/BL Touch feature) - Local Archive - 12/12/2020 - note, I don’t think anyone has gotten this firmware to work successfully with BLTouch - yes, the videos exist, but it just doesn’t work and they don’t care it doesn’t work - you’ve been warned to save your sanity. See the Marlin link below for the best way to do this.
- Latest Official Firmware (Titan Extruder) - Local Archive - 4/2021
The following firmware is not supplied by, or supported by Kingroon and is the main way to get BLTouch working with the KP3S.
- Quick Bed Level Test - Pick 175mm verison, Another quick level test print
- First Layer Test - trying to get that first layer to lay down or get your z offset dialed in? This is what helped me. Stop after first layer to assess bed adhesion.
- Filament Elephant - sits at the top of the Z-axis and helps you guide the filament into your extruder.
- X-Carriage Cable Support
- Z-Carriage Cable Support
- Y-Axis Mod/Tension - the internal Y spindle is bent on many devices and may break. Print this in advance of this breaking.
- X-Axis Mod/Tension
- X-Axis Endstop Bumper
- SD Card fix - sd card slot is open too much, thus you may stick your SD card into the case vs. the slot
- Marlin LCD Mount (Marlin firmware requires display be in landscape orientation)
- BL Touch Mount - non-Titan - Install Guide Only working with Marlin Firmware
- BL Touch Mount - Titan: Option 1, Option 2
- Cable Insert Tool
- Modular Hotend fan mount for 5015 and 3D Touch - non-Titan and 5015 fans
- Fan Duct - Titan: Option 1, Option 2
- Powersupply Stand
- Fan Silencer use this with the temperature-sensor mod to really quiet your device down.
- Self-centering Z coupler fix that z-banding/wobble issue. Use in conjunction with the anti-backlash nut below. Image
- Energetic 180x180mm Spring Steel Plate - smooth/textured - these are great! I only use the Kingroon plate for situations where the bed might get damaged (when messing with BL Touch, etc).
- Energetic 180x180mm Spring Steel Plate - smooth - one sided - these are great! I only use the Kingroon plate for situations where the bed might get damaged (when messing with BL Touch, etc). This is only one-sided, the one above this one is 2 sided - smooth on one side, textured on the other.
- Kingroon Flexible/magnetic build plate.
- 5015 24v Blower Fans
- Super Lube Synthetic Oil - my printer came with dry rails, so this is required for a new printer.
- Anti-backlash nut - Direct replacement for existing T9 screw nut but adds the anti-backlash spring.
3d Printer References
Even after several years, I still rely on several sites to make sure things work as they should. Here are a few of my favs.
- PID Tuning
- First Layer Advice: TeachingTech AndrewEllis93
- Calibrating Esteps - hint, measure a piece of filament to 200mm and use that as your reference piece
- Flow Calibration - Yes, you have to do this for each different type of filament you buy. This is why many folks stick with a single brand, even still, the rates may vary. This plus Esteps can make the sizes of your models vary significantly if they are off.
- Troubleshooting - Simply3d, rigid.ink